Volunteer: Be a Mentor
Every child is born with potential. But one-third of our nation’s youth are growing up without a positive role model. Stand with us to ignite, empower and inspire their potential.
Youth Who Have Mentors Are
- Less likely to use illegal drugs or alcohol
- More likely to stay in school
- More likely to make positive choices for their future
Who Are Our Littles?
Littles are children ages 6-18 looking for a positive role model in their life. Many live below the poverty threshold or in single-parent homes and come from a variety of backgrounds with a wide range of interests. We currently have a waitlist of kids (mainly boys) who are looking for a mentor from their community. The role of the mentor is to provide emotional support and encourage them to see their self-worth. All our Littles need and deserve a mentor and friend.
Volunteer Opportunities that Fit Your Schedule
Community-Based Mentoring: Meet up with your Little at least two times per month for one year to do things you enjoy when you both have the time. Explore your common interests by attending a sporting event, going for a hike, or cooking together! It's up to you and your Little. You'll be invited to exclusive match activities including sporting events, attractions, and gaming entertainment.
Site-Based Mentoring: Visit one of our partner sites to meet your Little for one hour per week (or at least 2 times per month) during their lunch break or after school. You will meet with the same child each week and can spend time eating lunch, participating in structured activities, playing games, working on homework, or hanging out on the playground.
- Emerson Elementary (Mesa) Site enrollment currently closed and will begin again Fall 2021
- iCan Youth Center (Chandler) meets after school
- Longview Elementary (Phoenix) Site enrollment currently closed and will begin again Fall 2021
- Lowell Elementary School (Phoenix)
- Maie Bartlett Heard School (Phoenix)
- Navajo Elementary School (Scottsdale) Site enrollment currently closed and will begin again Fall 2021
- one•n•ten LGBTQ Youth Center (Phoenix) meets every other Saturday
- San Marcos Elementary (Chandler)
- Scales Technology Academy (Tempe)
Your first step in becoming a mentor is to sign up for a Volunteer Information Session, which will be presented through a 40-minute live webinar.
If you are unavailable during the volunteer information session dates offered below, please contact our Community Relations Coordinator, Anne Campaigne at [email protected] or 602-799-0634.
Select your orientation: