Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Arizona
- 300 boys and girls are currently waiting to be matched and some will wait up to 3 years!
- Majority of youth come from low income single parent homes
- All youth have personally expressed a desire for a mentor
- By simply showing up, you can increase a child's self-confidence and attention to schoolwork
- You can decrease a child's chances of using illegal drugs, skipping school, and engaging in underage drinking
- Bigs and Littles are matched based on common interests
- Whether you play catch, watch a movie, or go to the library, those little moments have a big impact on kids and their lives AND CHANGE YOURS!
How does Big Brothers Big Sisters help Kasaius?
When Big Brothers Big Sisters works to match a Little with a Big, we take into account the needs, personality, interests, and goals of both the child and the adult volunteer. We introduce the Little and his or her family to the Big slowly and make sure everyone is fully committed to the match before it is made official. Little Brother Kasaius is outgoing and up for anything, so he needed a Big who was creative and had a variety of interests.
Children like Kasaius get the most out of their one-to-one relationship with their Big when the Big, the parent or guardian, and the child talk openly with their Match Support Specialist. Working as part of the team helping the child succeed, the Match Support Specialist can help identify problems, brainstorm solutions, and connect the family with essential services.
When Kasaius’ Big Brother saw the email from BBBS saying that there were spots open in a free acting class, he jumped at the chance to take Kasaius. BBBS affiliates across the country provide activities for Bigs and Littles and also alert Bigs to opportunities in the community. This enables Bigs to get to know other Bigs, who might be experiencing similar things and who might have great suggestions for more new activities.
Screening and Training
Child safety is Big Brothers Big Sisters’ highest priority. To achieve the highest standards possible, we work constantly to review and strengthen our background check systems as new best practices in the industry emerge. We also make sure our Bigs and our staff have the training and resources they need to help Littles on their path to success.
What's New from Big Brothers Big Sisters
Big Sister Lesa Receives Volunteer Award
Congratulations to Big Sister Lesa Black for being recognized with the Wells Fargo Volunteer Service Award. Lesa has been a Big Sister to Daphney for more than four years, and was named BBBSAZ…
Paul’s Pay It Forward Car Wash Raises $329,572!
WATCH PAUL REVEAL THE RECORD AMOUNT The 10th Annual Paul’s Car Wash fundraising event raised…
Calling Men in Phoenix & West Valley to Step Up & be Mentors
Boys in Phoenix & West Valley are ready to be matched to Big Brothers; some…
1. Attendance Matters! Missing just two days of school per month can significantly prevent a…
Torey may have gotten more than he bargained for when he signed up to be…
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Arizona is expanding its program in the East Valley…
BBBSAZ is actively recruiting community members who live or work near Emerson Elementary School in…