If you’ve heard of Big Brothers Big Sisters, it is likely you’re also familiar with a four-letter word we call the “waitlist.” In certain areas of town, we have a surplus of Littles (mentees) and a need for Bigs (Mentors). However, that is not the case in the Northern Part of Phoenix, youth are needed where there are a multitude of Bigs waiting for their future Little. If you have a child (Ages 6-15) or know someone who lives in the area above who wants another support person in their life, in the way of a mentor now is your time to apply!
There are so many benefits of having a mentor, such as:
- Increased high school graduation rates
- Lower high school dropout rates
- Healthier relationships and lifestyle choices
- Better attitude about school
- Higher college enrollment rates and higher educational aspirations
- Enhanced self-esteem and self-confidence
- Improved behavior, both at home and at school
- Stronger relationships with parents, teachers, and peers
- Improved interpersonal skills
- Decreased likelihood of initiating drug and alcohol use
Mentoring can help youth who are going through challenging transitions, dealing with stressful situations at home, kids that need one-on-one time and so much more (Learn more HERE). Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Arizona has been making a difference in the lives of our youth and communities by making meaningful relationships since 1955, and don’t plan on slowing down anytime soon. We do our absolute best to find your child a mentor and a friend who shares similar hobbies, interests, cultural backgrounds, and more. Below is a wonderful example of how much having that extra person in your young life can really make a difference:
If you would like to learn more about our programs, application process, or general information about BBBSAZ click the link HERE to check out our youth enrollment page. If you have any additional questions, comments, or concerns please feel free to reach out to Elsa at email@example.com.